12.13.2010

Basil Cheese Ball

I learned how to do this a few years ago on Oprah and her "favorite things" episode.  Rachel Ray was on showing how to make this wonderful treat that looks pretty and takes about 5 minutes to do.  This is great for parties and can be made ahead of time.  I make it pretty much any chance I can.

You will need:
  • 5 Fresh Basil Leaves
  • Some Sun dried tomatoes (or these Oven Roasted Tomatoes from OurBestBites)
  • 2 8oz. Containers of Spreading Cheese (I always use Rondele Garlic and Herb)

I started that morning by making the Oven Roasted Tomatoes, I love them and they make the house smell amazing when you are cooking them.  Such an easy recipe and always turns out great!


I cut my Roma Tomatoes in half, tossed in Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper.  Then topped with fresh chopped Garlic.  You throw them in the oven for 2 1/2 - 3 hours at 325 degrees.

 They bake into this beautiful treat on a pan

Once they cooled I chopped them up and set them aside.

Alright... onto the Cheese Ball!  Grab a small bowl and line with Saran Wrap.  I leave extra on the sides to cover the top when I make this in advance.

 Put 5 fresh basil leaves face down in the center of your bowl.


 Scoop one tub of cheese into your bowl.
 

Spread it around as best you can.  Try not to play with it too much so you don't mess up the leaves

 Next, add a small layer of Sun dried or Oven Roasted Tomatoes

Add your second tub of cheese


 You can either cover and refrigerate or turn over onto your serving tray right then

You end up with this beautiful Basil Cheese Ball!  Just add some crackers or bread around to go with the cheese.
(People got to it before I could grab my camera)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Umm yummmm. Wish I could have had that!!!

The Single Nester said...

What I did for Christmas last year with the Rondele spread was cut the tops off of cherry tomatoes and stuff the spread in them. Tasty.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...