11.30.2010

Mom's Turkey Sandwiches

So a tradition, well THE Thanksgiving tradition at our house growing up was always to have Thanksgiving lunch and then make turkey sandwiches for dinner with leftover turkey.  I think these started when my mom was a kid but it is has been a yearly treat for us.  Seriously, it is not Thanksgiving to me if there are not turkey sandwiches at some point.  It is a little weird, I am aware, but that is our family tradition.  I have introduced our little leftover idea to a few of my friends now and they are always surprised at how good these simple sandwiches are.  So anyways, here is the super easy, very yummy recipe for Mom's Turkey Sandwiches.

 
You will need:
  • Shredded turkey
  • Hamburger Buns
  • American Cheese
  • Finely chopped onion (optional)
  • Celery (optional)
  • Tin Foil

 
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
Shred your leftover turkey into smaller pieces.  You can chop it up but we have always just shredded it with our hands.  (Just the way grandma did it, then mom, now me)  I kept light meat and dark meat separate for those who are picky.

 

 
Next, grab a hamburger bun and pile on some shredded turkey, my personal favorite are Aunt Hattie's Potato Buns.  My family always added celery too but i am not a big fan so Jason and I chopped up some onion and threw in a little of that for extra flavor.

 

 
Now, throw on a slice of good 'ol American Cheese.

 

 
Place each sandwich on a piece of tin foil, big enough to wrap your sandwich in.

 

 
Toss all of your sandwiches into the oven and cook for about 20 minutes.

 

 
When you open them up they will be delicious, toasty little treats all for you!  My mom's favorite part was to peel off the toasty, cheese that sometimes sticks to the tin foil.

 
 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...